Adapted from BHG
A fresh strawberry purée gives these light and airy cookies their vibrant color and sweet, summery flavor.
Yield: 12 Servings
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw six 3 1/2-inch circles on each paper. Flip paper over; set sheets aside.
- In a blender or food processor puree strawberries; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 250°F (120°C). In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla, and salt with a mixer on medium until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating on high until stiff, glossy peaks form (5 minutes).
- Mound about two-thirds of the egg white mixture onto circles on parchment; spoon puree over mounds. Top with remaining meringue. Using the back of a spoon, lightly spread to edge of circle (see tip, above). Bake 75 minutes with sheets on separate oven racks. Turn off oven. Prop open oven door with a wooden spoon; let sheets sit in oven 1 hour. Transfer with paper to wire racks; cool completely. Store in an airtight container refrigerated up to 3 days.