- 3 small or 2 medium beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 eating apples, coarsely grated
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- Bunch fresh dill, leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds, toasted in a dry pan and lightly crushed in a pestle and mortar
- 600g Sosmix or other vegetarian sausage mix (available from health food shops)
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 medium free-range egg
- Light olive oil or other light cooking oil (rapeseed, groundnut or sunflower) for frying
To serve (optional-see recipe)
- Sourdough rolls, toasted
- Tomato and red onion slices
- Herby mayonnaise and/or relish
- Hot battered onion rings
1. To make the burgers, combine all the ingredients (except the oil) with 200ml water in a large mixing bowl and knead with your hands for around 5 minutes to form a dense but pliable burger mixture. Add a splash more water if needed. Cover the bowl with cling film, then put in the fridge for 15 minutes.
2. Divide the rested burger mixture evenly into 8 pieces, then shape each one into a round patty, around 2.5cm thick.
3. Heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan. When hot, add the patties, in batches if necessary, and fry for 10 minutes on each side.
4. Serve the burgers in toasted sourdough rolls with rocket, tomato and red onion slices, mayonnaise and/or relish – or your own favourite burger toppings. Serve with battered onion rings, if you like.
From Delicious Magazine